SPICED POMANDER BALLS
1 cup cinnamon
1 tablespoon cloves
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons white glue
8 drops of sweet orange essential oil
whole cloves and ribbon to decorate
(I added a tablespoon of Orris root for preservative)
1. Combine powdered spices in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl combine and stir together the glue, essential oil and applesauce.
3. Combine the 2 mixtures together
4. Stir and use hands to make a "cookie dough" consistency, you'll want it to be a little dryer than most cookie doughs for better handling (add more applesauce if too dry, cinnamon if too wet).
5. Pinch off enough dough to form into small balls, use a skewers (or pens) to form a hole through the center
6. add the cloves, to keep the ball's form, be sure to roll over (or you'll get a flat side)
7. Put pomanders in a dehydrator at 215 degrees for about 2 hours. I put them in the oven to dry 200 degrees for an hour.
8. String them with dehydrated orange slices, cranberries, popcorn or pinecones to make a garland for your tree. Or string each one for an air freshener for your car. This will be Christmas presents for my visitors this holiday season.